Uganda Cranes Training Matches:
- 27th May – 3rd June 2018
- In Niger
Uganda Cranes head coach Sebastien Desabre has summoned 21 year old Danish based Ugandan offensive midfielder Moses “Mo” Opondo to the 23 man squad set for two international friendly matches in Niger.
Opondo who dominates at the right wing is currently playing at Vendsyssel Football Club.
He was born at Kibuli Muslim Hospital, Uganda in 1997 before he moved to Denmark with his mother Nuluyiat Namagembe aged four years.
In 2005, he made a courtesy visit to the Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) head quarters in Mengo and met the FUFA President Moses Magogo.
Opondo is among six offensive midfielders that the French born Uganda Cranes head coach named ahead of two high profile build up matches with Niger and Central African Republic (CAR).
In Denmark, he has featured for two community clubs Skagen IK and Bangsbofreja before joining Aalborg BK Junior side to his current club – Vendsyssel FC.
On Wednesday, FUFA confirmed that the Uganda Cranes will take part in a three nation invitational tournament in West Africa featuring hosts Niger and Central African Republic.
The team that will depart on 27th May 2018 also has Cape Town City midfielder Allan “Dancing Rasta” Kateregga, Sabail midfielder Faruku Miya, Yeovil Town towering defender Bevis Mugabi, Zambian based left footer Joseph Ochaya, Salim Jamal, Hassan Wasswa Mawanda and the team captain Dennis Onyango.
The others on the team are Isaac Muleme, Yunus Sentamu, Denis Iguma, Murushid Jjuuko, Godfrey Walusimbi, Edrisa Lubega, Emmanuel Okwi, William Luwagga Kizito and Khalid Aucho.
Desabre noted that the summoned players will be monitored until the AFCON 2019 qualifiers coming up in September 2018.
I believe in the technical ability of the players summoned in line with my attacking philosophy of football.
There will be no time for training for the summoned team before they depart for Niger.
- Goalkeepers: Denis Onyango (Mamelodi Sundowns, South Africa), Charles Lukwago (KCCA, Uganda), Jamal Salim (Al Merreikh, Sudan)
- Right Backs: Denis Iguma (Al Nabi Shayth, Lebanon), Nico Wakiro Wadada (Vipers, Uganda)
- Left Backs: Isaac Muleme (Al Assiouty, Egypt), Godfrey “Jajja Walu” Walusimbi (Gor Mahia, Kenya)
- Central Defenders: Murushid Jjuuko (Simba, Tanzania), Bevis Mugabi (Yeovil Town, England), Timothy Dennis Awany (KCCA, Uganda)
- Holding Midfielders: Hassan Wasswa Mawanda (El Geish, Egypt), Khalid Aucho (East Bengal, India), Tadeo Lwanga (Vipers, Uganda)
- Offensive Midfielders: Moses Opondo (Vendsyssel, Denmark), William Luwagga Kizito (CMSM Lasi, Romania), Joseph Ochaya (Lusaka Dynamos, Zambia), Milton Karisa (Vipers, Uganda), Allan Kateregga (Cape Town City, South Africa), Faruku Miya (Sabail, Azerbaijan – on loan from Standard Liege, Belgium)
- Forwards: Emmanuel Arnold Okwi (Simba, Tanzania), Yunus Sentamu (Tirana, Albania), Edrisa “Torres” Lubega (Floridsdorfer, Austria), Muhammed “Jaggarson” Shaban (KCCA, Uganda)